Surly Long Haul Trucker

Surly Long Haul Trucker
My ride to the beach! :)

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Florida (or wherever) - Day 6 - Bennetsville, SC to Florence, SC - 36.92 miles

What a relaxing day!  Yes, it was hot, but it was so nice to be checked into a hotel by 2:00!  We were able to do laundry and my attitude and outlook is much improved.  Today was much needed and it's amazing how much better I feel! 

I forgot to tell you yesterday that we stopped at a convenience store on one of our breaks.  We are traveling between small towns and there is usually just one or two stores in each town.  We always talk to people and they have lots of questions that we enjoy answering.  Well, about 2 hours later, we stopped at another store and when I walked in the guy at the counter said, "Hey, are you that girl that's riding with her dad to Florida?"  I couldn't believe it!   We made the town "news" so to speak!  :)  We talked for a few minutes and we were on our way. 

Another night, a woman saw us and said, "Good Lord!  I saw you two in another town over!!"  I love to see the reaction from different folks.  It cracks me up.  And it makes me feel good too! 

Today's ride was great. We took our time and just pedaled along.  About 10'oclock we took a bit of a longer break so dad could make some work calls and it was nice to not be under a time table.  The worst part of the day was the roads!  Most of the day there were just awful.  No shoulder at all and huge pot holes.  The drivers are scaring me more and more with the way they pass us.  I'm just sure there is going to be an accident at some point.  I hope we can dodge the shrapnel. 

After laundry and some time relaxing, we went back out for dinner.  I took off the bags and I felt like I could have gone 40 mph!  It's fascinating what a difference taking all of that extra weight off of the bike can do.  We stopped an got some hot doughnuts from Krispy Kreme and that pretty much ended the perfect day!  :)

Tomorrow we will be headed to St. Stephen and that's about 68 miles.  We are both feeling super rested and are looking forward to the ride!

Than you all again for your support! 

1 comment:

  1. The memories you making are priceless...always cherish the times spent with your dad!!! :-) I admire you for what you are doing! Jana

    ReplyDelete