Surly Long Haul Trucker

Surly Long Haul Trucker
My ride to the beach! :)

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Florida - Day 5 - Fayetteville, NC to Bennettsville, SC - 61.90 miles

Today was tough.  It was our first day with real heat and it got up to 92 degrees.  The terrain we are riding through doesn't have much shade and after yesterday's 80 miles, it was a bit of a challenge to say the least. 

All in all it was a good day, basically we are just beat.

The biggest news of all is that we hit South Carolina!  I can't believe we rode through a whole state!  I've crossed a state line before, but never TWO in the same trip!  It's quite a feeling, but it's surreal...  I've talked about taking this trip for so long and I think even I had started to believe that it wouldn't really happen.  I'm so grateful that it is happening and I'm even more grateful that I can share this experience with my dad.  Who would have thought that this could even have been a possiblility!  I consider this trip a true gift and no matter what, we have created memories on this adventure that will last a lifetime.  Thank you dad.  I love you. 

It's funny that we looked at each other last night and thought, yeah...lets do 60 miles...that's an easy day.  What were we thinking?  I guess that after 80 miles, 60 seems like nothing!  :)  Well, it wasn't nothing...but again...we did it!

After checking in and getting our showers we talked about the reality of actually getting to Jacksonville, FL in the time we have left.  Can we get there?  Yes.  Would we enjoy the trip?  No.  What can we do about it?  Make some adjustments.  The plan now is to head south until Sunday and then my sister will pick us up wherever we are.  We will travel as few or as many miles as we feel good about in a day.  Tomorrow will be a really short day, 40-45 miles and we will do laundry and rest.  We just need a day to catch our breath.  The truth is, I'm feeling tired, sore, and discouraged.  I'm worried about not making it and I don't want to disappoint anyone.  But then I was reminded that it isn't about making it to a particular place.  It's about making the trip the destination...(thanks Chris)...it's about enjoying the moments that are happening right now.  If I focus on what may or may not happen later, I miss the moments that are happening right now...I don't want to look back on this trip and wish I had been more present.  I want to be here now. 

Tomorrow will be a day of recovery and whatever follows will follow.  I'm not going to worry about it and I'm going to enjoy this time on this adventure with my dad.

I love the texts and messages that I get through the day.  They are so encouraging and I can't thank you enough!  You are are truly remarkable! 

No comments:

Post a Comment