Surly Long Haul Trucker

Surly Long Haul Trucker
My ride to the beach! :)

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Florida - Day 2 - Altavista, VA to South Boston, VA - 52.51 miles

We set out this morning about 9:45, and I won't lie...the first 6 miles were pretty painful.  We were both sore and tight and didn't have much time for recovery.  The terrain was much better though and the weather was amazing! 

We started the day on back country roads where the traffic was light and the scenery was picture perfect.  The day was really uneventful...which is good!  We decided to hit a main highway for the last 20 miles and that was actually nice.  We have found that the busy roads usually have a much more tolerable grade as well as a wide shoulder. 

I'm so tired right now though that I'm having trouble recalling any details from the day.  We stopped outside of South Boston at a nice little pizza place.  The people there were great and everyone is always intrigued with dads bike.  Everyone wants a picture of it and it's an excellent conversation starter.  Everyone we have met has been so nice.  I like being able to meet new people and connect with them if even for a few minutes.  I like hearing about how they know someone that has taken a long bike trip, or they themselves have always wanted to do it.  I enjoy answering the questions and encouraging people to go for it.  I love how they light up when they hear we are going to FL.  I love the expressions of disbelief.  I love it all.

Tonight we walked to a Mexican place by the hotel.  It was delicious!  We are going to spend the next little bit checking out maps and reorganizing the bags on the bikes.  We are headed to Louisburg, NC tomorrow.  I'm SO excited about crossing a state line!  :)

1 comment:

  1. So proud of you!I hope the weather remains good for you two and that you remain safe and sound. Thank you so much for the regular check-ins and updates. I know it eases my mind knowing where you are and is really fun watching your progress. Rest well tonight my friend, enjoy crossing the state line tomorrow. I love ya girl.

    ReplyDelete