Surly Long Haul Trucker

Surly Long Haul Trucker
My ride to the beach! :)

Monday, May 13, 2013

Florida - Day 3- South Boston, VA to Wake Forest - 73.28 miles

This is my favorite part of the day.  The time between checking in and posting the blog.  I love the planning of the next route.  Someone told me a long time ago that you can't think about the long trips in terms of total mileage.  You have to think of them as individual day trips.  So tomorrow, the plan is to take a day trip from Wake Forest, NC to Fayetteville, NC.  It's not always easy to focus on what is right in front of me.  The trip tomorrow is 82 miles and while we don't have to make it all the way, we do have to try.  And we can't do all 82 miles at one time.  What we CAN do is the 4 miles before the next turn...and then the 2 miles after that, etc... Today while I was climbing a hill that I thought may never end, I focused on tiny pieces of the hill.  I can make it to the next drive way, then to the next mailbox, and to another road sign...tiny steps...tiny rewards, and before I knew it, I had reached the top!  It doesn't sound like much and maybe it sounds silly...but it keeps me sane...mostly.

I find that the 3rd day of any long trip is always the most trying.  It's the day I want to quit.  Physically it isn't the hardest, but mentally it's when I really start to wonder what I've gotten myself into and if I'm capable of finishing.  Do I even want to finish?  Well, I've gotten through day 3, and I didn't quit.  I'm pumped and excited about our plans for tomorrow and the challenges ahead.  I just KNOW the terrain will be flat eventually!  :)  Until then the rolling hills really are quite nice and the grades are not bad at all.  Slow going, but good.

We have been improving our time too.  Day 1 we averaged 8.7 mph, day 2 we averaged 9.3 mph and today we averaged 9.5 mph.  Granted the terrain is getting better, but we have put in a good bit of miles (199.27) in three days so I feel like any improvement is excellent! 

It's May 13th and we actually had to wear our windbreakers!  It was chilly, but I'm sure that we will be wishing for that cooler weather on Wednesday when we hit the warmer temps!  But it was 45 to start the day and that's a little too cool for me.  Low tonight is supposed to be 48. 

Today we crossed the line into North Carolina.  That was an unbelieveable feeling!  I've crossed a state line once before, but this was really exciting!  We took pictures which I will be posting to the "Riding for a Reason" Facebook page.

Thank you for all of your positive vibes, prayer and good thoughts!  I can't wait to see what tomorrow holds!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds SO exciting! And what a story you will have to tell :) stay safe out there.

    ReplyDelete