Surly Long Haul Trucker

Surly Long Haul Trucker
My ride to the beach! :)

Monday, April 8, 2013

TN Trip - Day 3 - 37.89 miles

The day started extremely foggy, so I took off about 10:00 in hopes that it would burn off before I left.  It was still pretty foggy, but it wasn't as cold as it had been.  The roads were only a little wet and that was manageable.  It's a beautiful ride out of Abindgon and I enjoyed the trip.  By noon the sun was peeking through the fog and I could actually see some blue skies!  AND it was beginning to warm up.  I was able to ditch my 2nd coat, shoe covers and winter gloves!  It was magnificent!  :)

The terrain was rolling hills and really quite enjoyable!  I was making excellent time and it felt so good to be on the bike!  After the last two days, I was a little worried I wouldn't enjoy it again.  About 15 miles outside of Kingsport, TN was the best.  I was able to average about 25 mph!  I was FLYING!  I was able to race down the hills and then I hardly had to pedal going up the next one.  I was having a blast!

About two miles from the hotel my friend rode by in her sons car and cheered me on.  I've been so blessed and fortunate to have people with me at the end of both of my trips.  There is something amazing about having someone there to give you that last little push.  :)

One more big hill up to the hotel and I was done!  It's an incredible feeling to finish a ride.  Even though I didn't get to finish the whole thing (I still need to go back and do that 42 miles from Rural Retreat to Abingdon) I'm proud of the 130 miles I did.  I know that there are lots of people who could have done that trip in half the time and 3 times the speed...but there are also lots of people that haven't done any of it.  I'm still relatively new at this whole thing.  I'm learning...and that takes time.  :)

I took my friend and her husband out for dinner as a thank you for everything they have done to help me get ready for this trip and everything they did to get me there.  It was an adventure and have made for some fantastic memories.  I can't wait to leave in May for the trip to Fl with my dad!  I'm so excited to not need winter gear for that one!

I even got to meet up with a friend I went to high school with and haven't seen in 25 years!  What a wonderful trip!  :)

Thanks again everyone for all that you do and have done.  You really are the best and you each have a small part in making this girls dreams come true....one day...one mile...one crank of the pedal at a time.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment